Jim Sellmer, Ph.D.
- PhD., Horticulture and Botany (Plant Physiology), University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1991
- M.S., Horticulture, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1987
- B.S., Agriculture (Landscape Management), Purdue University, 1984
- 60% Teaching
- 20% Extension and Outreach
- 20% Research
- HORT/TURF 238: Controlling Weeds in Turf and Ornamentals (3 credits)
- HORT 408: Landscape Plant Establishment and Maintenance (4 credits)
- HORT 410W: Issues in Landscape Contracting (3 credits)
Extension and Outreach Educational Programs
My extension and applied research activities have expanded over the years to include two main components:
- As an Ornamental Horticulture Extension Specialist, my duties include developing educational programs, problem-solving tools, and informational resources. My research and educational efforts are directed toward county extension staff, nursery stock producers, landscape contractors and managers, and garden center personnel and operators throughout Pennsylvania.
- As Project Leader for the Department of Horticulture Vegetation Management Research Group (http://plantscience.psu.edu/research/projects/vegetative-management), my duties include developing educational programs, supervising two research associates, proposing and managing the implementation of research projects and experiments, and managing the administrative aspects of awarded competitive grants related to vegetation and invasive plant species research. To date this group has conducted research, developed educational programs, and created fact sheets for several state and federal agencies including the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, Department of Natural Resources Bureau of State Parks and Bureau of Forestry,USDA-Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program (CREP), and the Pennsylvania Association of Resource Conservation and Development (PA RC&D).
- Woody and herbaceous perennial plant evaluation (e.g., adaptability, performance, pest susceptibility) and management in the landscape.
- Crop improvement through plant breeding and genetic engineering.
- Developing propagation and production systems.
- Developing and evaluating vegetation management strategies for invasive species and use of native plants as a competitive ground cover.
- Vegetation Management Research Group: http://plantscience.psu.edu/research/projects/vegetative-management
Honors and Awards:
- Gamma Sigma Delta Agriculture Honorary
- 2002 Certificate of Appreciation. Presented by the International Plant Propagators’ Society for sharing time and knowledge in propagation.
- 2002 Group Honor Award of Excellence. Presented by the United States Dept. of Agriculture for Multistate Project Northeastern-501 created to effectively limiting the spread of the invasive and devastating plum pox virus in U.S. stone fruits.
- 2002 Certification of Appreciation. Presented by USDA-CSREES. Recognition for participation in Multistate Project Northeastern-5011996 Project Partnership Award for developing and coordinating the first Wisconsin Tree Care Advisor Volunteer Training Program. Presented by The Wisconsin Urban Forestry Council.
- 1996 Communicator Award. An Educational Team award for local radio programming. Presented by the WI Assoc. of Extension 4-H Agents.
- 1996 Successful Program Award. A Team Program Development award for "Adventures in Dairyland" an Urban Youth Nutrition and Gardening Program. Presented by the WI Assoc. of Extension 4-H Agents.
- Pi Alpha Xi -Horticulture and Floriculture Honorary Society
- Sigma Xi -Scientific Honorary
- International Society of Arboriculture and Penn-Del Chapter (ISA): 2004-Present
- Weed Science Society of America (WSSA): 2010-Present
- American Society of Horticultural Sciences (ASHS): 1984-Present
- Metropolitan Tree Improvement Alliance (METRIA): 1998-Present
- Landscape Plant Development Center (LPDC):1999-Present
Vegetation Management and Invasive Plant Research
- Lloyd, Kirsten, J. Johnson, A. Gover, and J. Sellmer. 2011. Preemergence and Postemergence Suppression of Kochia on Rights-of-Way. Weed Technology 25: 292-297.
- Conklin, J.R. and J.C. Sellmer. 2009a. Flower and Seed Production of Norway Maple Cultivars. HortTechnology 19(1) 91-95.
- Conklin, J.R. and J.C. Sellmer 2009b. Germination and Seed Viability of Norway Maple Cultivars, Hybrids, and Species. HortTechnology 19(1) 120-126.
- Conklin, J.R. and J.C. Sellmer. 2009. Flowering, fecundity, seed germination, and seed viability of Viburnum opulus L. cultivars. J. Environmental Hort. 27(1):31-36.
Integrated and Invasive Pest Management Research
- Morewood, W.D., K Hoover PR Neiner, JC Sellmer. 2005 Complete development of Anoplophora glabripennis (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) in northern red oak trees. The Canadian Entomologist 137: 376-379.
- Morewood, W.D., Hoover, K., & Sellmer, J.C. 2004. Predation by Achaearanea tepidariorum (Araneae: Theridiidae) on Anoplophora glabripennis (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae). The Great Lakes Entomologist 36: 33-36.
- Morewood, W.D., Hoover, K., Neiner, P.R., McNeil, J.R., & J.C. Sellmer. 2004. Host tree resistance against the polyphagous wood-boring beetle Anoplophora glabripennis. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 110: 79-86.
- Morewood, W.D., P. Neiner, J. Sellmer, and K. Hoover. 2004. Behavior of adult Anoplophora glabripennis on a variety of trees under greenhouse conditions. J. Insect Behavior. 17(2) 215-226.
- Hoover, K, J.C. Sellmer, and N. Ostiguy. 2004. Survey of the Monitoring and Control Practices for Insect and Mites by the Nursery Industry in Pennsylvania. Journal of Environmental Horticulture 22(1) 5-11.
- Sellmer, J.C., N. Ostiguy, K. Hoover, and K.M. Kelley. 2004. Assessing the Integrated Pest Management Practices of Pennsylvania Nursery Operations. HortScience 39 (2).
- Sellmer, J.C., N. Ostiguy, K. Hoover, and K.M. Kelley. 2004. Assessing the Integrated Pest Management Practices of Pennsylvania Landscape Management and Construction Operations. Journal of Arboriculture. 30(4) 253-260.
- Morewood, W.D., P.R. Neiner, J.R. McNeil, J.C. Sellmer, and K. Hoover. 2003. Oviposition preference and larval performance of Anoplophora glabripennis (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) in four eastern North American hardwood tree species Environmental Entomology 32(5) 1028-1034.
- Ludwig, S.W. L. Lazarus, D. G. McCullough, K. Hoover, S. Montero, and J. C. Sellmer. 2002. Methods to Evaluate Host Tree Suitability to the Asian longhorned beetle, Anoplophora glabripennis. Journal of Environmental Horiculture. 20(3):175-180.
Nursery Production Research
- Bates, R.M., J.C. Sellmer, and D.A. Despot. 2004. Postharvest Characteristics of Canaan fir and Fraser fir Christmas Trees. HortScience. 39(7) 1674-1676.
- Bates, R.M., J.C. Sellmer, T.L. Harpster, and L.J. Kuhns. 2004. Applying Accelerated Growth Production Practices to American Chestnut. HortTechnology. 14(1) 161-162.
- Sellmer, J.C., R.M. Bates, T.L. Harpster, D. Despot, and L.J. Kuhns. 2003. Efficacy of Fall Applied Herbicides in Pot-in-Pot Nursery Tree Production. HortTechnology 13(4) 729-730.
- Sellmer, J.C., R. M. Bates, T. L. Harpster, and L. J. Kuhns. 2002. Efficacy of five pre-emergence herbicides in pot-in-pot tree production. Combined Proceedings International Plant Prop. Soc. 51:520-522.
- Harpster, T.L., J.C. Sellmer, and L.J. Kuhns. 2002. The impact of composted organic waste products on weed populations in field grown woody nursery production. Proceeding Northeast Weed Science Soc. 56: 86-87.
- Sellmer J. C., Adkins, I. McCall, and B. Whipker. 2001. Pampas Grass (Cortaderia selloana) Response to Ancymidol, Paclobutrazol, and Uniconazole Substrate Drenches. HortTechnology 11(2): 28-31.
- Kelley, K.M., J.C. Sellmer, and R.H. Robert. 2010. Developing Strategies to Increase Visits to Public Gardens and Arboreta by Surveying Community Residents. HortTechnology 20(6) 1001-1009.
- Kelley, K.M., J.C. Sellmer, and R.H. Robert. 2010. Analysis of Arboreta Members and the Local Community Interests in Participating in Public Gardens and Arboreta Programs. HortTechnology 20(5) 902-914. Wehry, R.H., K.M. Kelley, R.D. Berghage, and J.C. Sellmer. 2007. Capturing Consumer Preferences and Interests in Developing a State Plant Promotional Program. HortScience 42(3): 574-580
- Kelley, K.M., J.R. Concklin, J.C. Sellmer, and R.M. Bates. 2006. Invasive Plant Species: Results of a Consumer Awareness, Knowledge, and Expectations Survey Conducted in Pennsylvania. Journal of Environmental Horticulture 24 (1) 53-58.
- Wehry, R.H., K.M. Kelley, R.D. Berghage, and J.C. Sellmer. 2005. Using intercept and telephone survey methods to assess consumer awareness and purchasing of Pennsylvania Gardener Selects. HortTechnology 15(1) 157-163.
- Sellmer, J.C., K.M. Kelley, D.J. Suchanic, and S. Barton. 2003. Assessing Consumer Knowledge and Use of Landscape Plant Health Care and Integrated Pest Management Practices through a Computer-based Interactive Survey. HortTechnology 13(3) 556-561.
- Sellmer, J.C., K.M. Kelley, D.J. Suchanic, and S. Barton. 2003. An Interactive Survey to Assess Consumer Knowledge about Landscape Plant Health Care and IPM Practices. Journal of Extension. 41(2)
- Sellmer, J.C., R.D. Berghage, A.H. Michael, and T. Bilik. 2003. Pennsylvania Gardener Selects Evaluation Program. Journal of Extension. 41(1) http://www.joe.org/joe/2003february/iw4.shtml.
- Sellmer, J.C. and L.J. Kuhns. 2007. Chapter 12: Guide to Selecting and Specifying Nursery Stock . Urban & Community Forestry in the Northeast, Ed. John Kuser. Springer Publishing Co. Pp. 199-219.
- Sellmer, J.C. 2001. Trees That Litter. New York and Mid-Atlantic Gardeners Book of Lists, Ed. Bonnie Lee Appleton and Lois Trigg Chaplin. Taylor Trade Publishing. Pp.34-35.
- Sellmer, J.C. 2001. Trees for the 21st Century. New York and Mid-Atlantic Gardeners Book of Lists, Ed. Bonnie Lee Appleton and LoisTrigg Chaplin. Taylor Trade Publishing. Pp. 6-7.
- Sellmer, J.C. and L.J. Kuhns. 2000. Chapter 11: Guide to Selecting andSpecifying Quality Nursery Stock . Urban & Community Forestryin the Northeast, Ed John Kuser. Kluwer Publishing Co. Pp. 169-186
Penn State University Extension Publications
- Sellmer, J., R, Bates, D. Sanford, and J.R. Nuss. 2009. A Guide for Selecting Shrubs for Pennsylvania Landscapes. The Pennsylvania State University Extension Bulletin UJ257. 31 p.
- Kuhns, L.J., T. Harpster, J. Sellmer, and S. Guiser. 2007. Controlling Weeds in Nursery and Landscape Plantings. The Pennsylvania State University Extension Bulletin #UJ236. 44 p.
- Sellmer, J.C. V.J. Cotrone, M.McGann, and J.R. Nuss. 2004. Pruning Ornamental Plants. The Pennsylvania State University Extension Bulletin . #AGRS-95. 28 p.
- Landschoot, P, R.F. Stinson, W.K. Hock, D.J. Murphy, J.R. Nuss, and J. Sellmer. 2003. Greenskeeping. The Pennsylvania State University Extension Bulletin #AGRS-87. 119 p.
- Sellmer J.C., M. McGann, R. Nuss, and R.H. Johnson. 2002. Planting Ornamentals. The Pennsylvania State University Cooperative Extension Circular #UJ253. 16 p.
- Sellmer, J.C., G. Hoover, and G. Moorman. 2001. UJ252 Boxwoods for Pennsylvania Landscapes. The Pennsylvania State University Extension Bulletin #UJ252. 8p.
- Nuss, J.R., D.L. Sanford, and J.C. Sellmer. 2001. Soil Management in Home Gardens and Landscapes. The Pennsylvania State University Extension Bulletin #UJ234. 12p.
- Barr, S., D. Beattie and J.C. Sellmer. 2000. UJ249 Viburnums for Pennsylvania Landscapes. The Pennsylvania State University Extension Bulletin #UJ249. 2p.