Jian Liu, Dr.
- 2013 Ph.D. in Soil Science, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Department of Soil and Environment, Uppsala, Sweden
- 2010 M.Sc. in Soil Science, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Department of Soil and Environment, Uppsala, Sweden
- 2007 B.Sc. in Environmental Sciences, Northwest Agricultural & Forestry University, College of Natural Resources and Environment, Yangling, China
I am currently a post-doc working on SWAT modeling, phosphorus indices and compiling experimental data, with the aim of appropriate management of animal manure (especially over winter) to reduce nutrient losses to water. I have a research background of soil science, specialized in water quality management. During PhD, I investigated phosphorus leaching as influenced by animal manure and catch crops, by carrying out laboratory and field experiments and model simulations.
P and N Cycling, Transport, and Impact on Water Quality:
17. Liu J., Kleinman P.J.A., Beegle D.B., Dell C.J., Veith T.L., Saporito L.S., Pote D.H., Bryant R.B. 2016. Subsurface application enhances benefits of manure redistribution. Agricultural & Environmental Letters (In press).
16. Liu J., Kleinman P.J.A., Beegle D.B., Weld J.L., Sharpley A.N., Saporito L.S., Schmidt J.P. 2015. Phosphorus and Nitrogen Losses via Leaching and Surface Runoff from Stacking of Poultry Litter. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 103 (1):101-114.
15. Aronsson H., Hansen E.M., Thomsen I.K., Liu J., Øgaard A.K., Känkänen H., Ulén B. 2016. The ability of cover crops to reduce nitrogen and phosphorus losses from arable land in southern Scandinavia and Finland - a review. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 71(1):41-55.
14. Liu J., Zuo Q., Zhai L.M., Luo C.Y., Liu H.B., Wang H.Y., Liu S., Zou G.Y. & Ren T.Z. 2015. Phosphorus losses via surface runoff in rice−wheat cropping systems as impacted by rainfall regimes and fertilizer applications. Journal of Integrative Agriculture (In Press: Doi:10.1016/S2095-3119(15)61087-5).
13. Xi B., Zhai L.M., Liu J., Liu S., Wang H.Y., Luo C.Y., Ren T.Z. & Liu H.B. 2016. Long-term phosphorus accumulation and agronomic and environmental critical phosphorus levels in Haplic Luvisol soil, northern China. Journal of Integrative Agriculture (In Press: DOI:10.1016/S2095-3119(14)60947-3).
12. Li H.G., Liu J., Li G.H., Shen J.B., Bergström L. & Zhang F.S. 2015. Past, present, and future use of phosphorus in Chinese agriculture and its influence on phosphorus losses. Ambio 44(Suppl 2):274-285.
11. Bergström L., Kirchmann H., Djodjic F., Kyllmar K., Ulén B., Liu J., Andersson H., Aronsson H., Börjesson G., Kynkäänniemi P., Svanbäck A. & Villa A. 2015. Turnover and losses of phosphorus in Swedish agricultural soils: long-term changes, leaching trends, and mitigation measures. Journal of Environmental Quality 44 (2):512-523.
10. Zhang Y.T., Wang H.Y., Liu S., Lei Q.L., Liu J., He J.Q., Zhai L.M., Ren T.Z. & Liu H.B. 2015. Identifying critical nitrogen application rate for maize yield and nitrate leaching in a Haplic Luvisol soil using the DNDC model. Science of the Total Environment 514:388-398.
9. Liu J., Bergkvist G. & Ulén B. 2015. Biomass production and phosphorus retention by catch crops on clayey soils in southern and central Sweden. Field Crops Research 171:130-137.
8. Zhai L.M., CaiJi Z.M., Liu J., Wang H.Y., Ren T.Z., Gai X.P., Xi B. & Liu H.B. 2015. Short-term effects of maize residue biochar on phosphorus availability in two soils with different phosphorus sorption capacities. Biology and Fertility of Soils 51:113-122.
7. Gai X.P., Wang H.Y., Liu J., Zhai L.M., Liu S., Ren T.Z. & Liu H.B. 2014. Effects of feedstock and pyrolysis temperature on biochar adsorption of ammonium and nitrate. PLoS ONE 9(12):e113888.
6. Liu J., Ulén B., Bergkvist G. & Aronsson H. 2014. Freezing-thawing effects on phosphorus leaching from catch crops. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 99:17-30.
5. Aronsson H., Liu J., Ekre E., Torstensson G. & Salomon E. 2014. Effects of pig and dairy slurry application on N and P leaching from crop rotations with spring cereals and forage leys. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 98:281-293.
4. Liu J., Khalaf R., Ulén B. & Bergkvist G. 2013. Potential phosphorus release from catch crop shoots and roots after freezing-thawing. Plant and Soil 371:543-557.
3. Liu J., Aronsson H., Blombäck K., Persson K. & Bergström L. 2012. Long-term measurements and model simulations of phosphorus leaching from a manured sandy soil. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 67(2):101-110.
2. Liu J., Aronsson H., Ulén B. & Bergström L. 2012. Potential phosphorus leaching from sandy topsoils with different fertilizer histories before and after application of pig slurry. Soil Use and Management 28:457-467.
1. Liu J., Aronsson H., Bergström L. & Sharpley A. 2012. Phosphorus leaching from loamy sand and clay loam topsoils after application of pig slurry. SpringerPlus 1:53.
Other Agricultural and Environmental Issues:
3. Zhang X., Xu M., Liu J., Sun N., Wang B., Wu L. 2016. Greenhouse gas emissions and stocks of soil carbon and nitrogen from a 20-year fertilised wheat-maize intercropping system: A model approach. Journal of Environmental Management 167:105-114.
2. Cao X., Long H., Lei Q., Liu J., Zhang J., Zhang W., Wu S. 2016. Spatio-temporal variations in organic carbon density and carbon sequestration potential in the topsoil of Hebei Province, China. Journal of Integrative Agriculture (In Press: Doi:10.1016/S2095-3119(15)61239-4).
1. Zhang Y.T., Liu J., Zhang J.Z., Liu H.B., Liu S., Zhai L.M., Wang H.Y., Lei Q.L., Ren T.Z. & Yin C.B. 2015. Row ratios of intercropping maize and soybean can affect agronomic efficiency of the system and subsequent wheat. PLoS ONE 10(6):e0129245.