Michael Fidanza, Ph.D.
Connect with Michael Fidanza, Ph.D.
- Ph.D., Agronomy, University of Maryland, 1995.
- M.Agr., Agronomy, Pennsylvania State University, 1989.
- B.S., Agricultural Science, Pennsylvania State University, 1987.
Responsibilities and Interests:
Turfgrass management and turfgrass ecology; turfgrass IPM with an emphasis on weed and disease management; fairy ring biology and management in turfgrass ecosystems; plant health and soil ecology; seed ecology; evaluation of mushroom compost for ag crops and turf/ornamentals; landscape horticulture; pedagogy (teaching and learning).
- Professor, Berks Campus, Pennsylvania State University, 2011–present.
- Associate Professor, Berks Campus, Pennsylvania State University, 2006–2011.
- Courtesy Professor, Dept. of Plant Science (formerly Dept. of Crop and Soil Sciences), Pennsylvania State University, 2002–present.
- Assistant Professor, Berks Campus, Pennsylvania State University, 2000–2006.
- Research and Development Biologist, Aventis Environmental Science, 1999–2000; AgrEvo Environmental Health, 1997–1999; AgrEvo USA Company, 1995–1997.
- McMillan, M. F., Fidanza, M. A., S. K., Boerth, T., Bigelow, C., Cisar, J., Soldat, D., Karas, I., Williams, K. 2013. Monitoring seasonal soil water repellency in USA golf course putting greens. International Turfgrass Society Research Journal. 12:815-818.
- Davis, D.D. and M.A. Fidanza. 2011. Fresh recycled mushroom compost suppresses artillery fungi sporulation: a 4-year field study. Journal of Environmental Horticulture, 29(2):91-95.
- Fidanza, M.A., D.L. Sanford, D.M. Beyer, and D. Aurentz. 2010. Analysis of fresh mushroom compost. HortTechnology 20:449-453.
- Fidanza, M.A., J.E. Kaminski, M.L. Agnew and D. Shepard. 2009. Evaluation of water droplet size and water-carrier volume on fungicide performance for anthracnose control on annual bluegrass. International Turfgrass Society Research Journal 11:195-205.
- Kaminski, J.E. and M.A. Fidanza. 2009. Dollar spot severity as influenced by fungicide mode of activity and spray nozzle. HortScience 44:1762-1766.
- Moody, D.R., M.J. Schlossberg, D.D. Archibald, A.S. McNitt, and M.A. Fidanza. 2009. Soil water repellency development in amended sand rootzones. Crop Science 49:1885-1892.
- Fidanza, M.A., J.L. Cisar, S.J. Kostka, J.S. Gregos, M.J. Schlossberg, and M. Franklin. 2007. Preliminary investigation of soil chemical and physical properties associated with type-I fairy ring symptoms in turfgrass. Hydrological Processes 21:2285-2290.
- Fidanza, M.A. 2006. Class lecture attendance, course performance, and course evaluation: A case study of an introductory plant science course. North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture Journal 50(1):28-32.
- Fidanza, M.A. 2006. Incorporating cultural diversity into college science. p. 289-296. In Handbook of College Science Teaching. J.J. Mintzes and W.H. Leodard (eds.). National Science Teachers Association, Arlington, VA.
- Fidanza, M.A., L. J. Stowell, W. Gelernter, P. J. Landschoot, D.L. Sanford, N. Bosold, and J. Welchans. 2006. Survey of irrigation water for golf courses in Southeastern Pennsylvania. Applied Turfgrass Science doi:10.1094/ATS-2006-0210-01TT.
Fidanza, M.A., P.F. Colbaugh, H.B. Couch, S.D. Davis and D.L. Sanford. 2002. Conventional and innovative methods of fairy ring management in turfgrass. Science and Golf IV:631-642.
- Dernoeden, P.H., M.A. Fidanza, and J.M. Krouse. 1998. Low maintenance performance of five festuca species in monostands and mixtures. Crop Science 38:434-439.
- Fidanza, M.A., P.H. Dernoeden, and M. Zhang. 1996. Degree-days for predicting smooth crabgrass emergence in cool-season turfgrass. Crop Science 36:990-996.
- Fidanza, M.A., P.H. Dernoeden, and A.P. Grybauskas. 1996. Development and field validation of a brown patch warning model for perennial ryegrass turf. Phytopathology 86:385-390.