How to Apply
Applying to the Graduate Program
Here’s How to Apply
I. THE GRADUATE SCHOOL APPLICATION
- Complete the Graduate School Application.
II. ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- Completed Graduate School Application.
- Non-refundable $65 application fee for on-line graduate applications.
- Scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), or from a comparable substitute examination accepted by a graduate program and authorized by the Dean of the Graduate School, are required for admission. At the discretion of the graduate program officer, a student may be admitted provisionally for graduate study in a program without these scores. Select “Penn State University” as the destination for your test score.
- International applicants whose first language is not English or who have not received a baccalaureate or master's degree from an institution in which the language of instruction is English must submit a TOEFL score of 550 (paper test), a score of 213 (computer-based test), a total score of 80 with a 19 on the speaking section (internet-based test), or a minimum composite score of 6.5 on the IELTS. Select “Penn State University” as the destination for your test score.
- An official transcript from each institution attended will be requested only if you are offered admission. You will be asked to upload unofficial transcripts on the graduate school application site for use by the admissions committee. NOTE: If you have your undergraduate degree from Penn State University, official transcripts are not required.
- Statement of Purpose. This is a 1-2 page essay describing your reasons for considering graduate study, your goals after completion of your degree, and the specific areas of interest.
- Three letters of recommendation. These should be from people who are best qualified to evaluate your ability to succeed in graduate study. This may include your academic advisor, instructors who are familiar with your work from their classes, supervisors from research projects, a supervisor from your place of employment, or anyone else who is able to evaluate your academic ability and motivation.
NOTE: Please do not submit information with your application that cannot be used in the admission decision process, e.g., Individual Education Plans (IEPs), medical records, statements from physicians or psychologists, or legal documents. Such information will be shredded.