Procedures for Admission
Inquiries about the Agronomy graduate program should be sent to:
Graduate Program Head, Agronomy
109 Tyson Building
Penn State University
University Park, PA 16802
A complete application includes:
- completed Graduate School electronic application form (submitted to the Graduate School),
- two original sets of transcripts (submitted to the Department,
- an official version of the GRE score report (sent to the Department),
- official TOEFL/ IELTS scores (sent to the Department) for students who come from nations where English is not the native language or who have not received a baccalaureate or master’s degree from an institution in which the language of instruction is English,
- a personal goal statement (sent to the Department), and
three letters of reference (names and addresses of references are submitted to the Graduate School as part of the electronic application form).
Applications may be submitted at any time, but competition for financial support of students starting in the Fall Semester is intense and applications should be completed by January 2.
International students should submit their applications at least nine months before the beginning of the semester for which they are applying. Information on the online application system is available at: http://cropsoil.psu.edu/academic/gradapply.cfm.
Evaluation by the Department Graduate Programs Committee
Applicants for graduate study in Agronomy are evaluated by the Department of Plant Science, Agronomy Graduate Programs Committee and potential advisers who consider (1) previous coursework, (2) academic performance (grade-point average), (3) GRE scores, (4) TOEFL/IELTS scores when appropriate, (5) appraisal of deficiencies, (6) personal goal statement, (8) information given on Graduate School application forms, and (9) letters of recommendation. Recommendation to the Graduate School for acceptance or rejection of an applicant is made by the Department Head in consultation with the proposed faculty advisers.