Sonochus arvensis glabrescens
Corn Sow-thistle, Creeping Sow Thistle, Dindle, Field Milk Thistle, Field Sow Thistle, Gutweed, Milk Thistle, Sonchus uliginosus, Tree Sow-thistle
Life cycle: Perennial
Growth Habit: Erect plant growing in clumps
Propagation: Seeds and rhizomes
Leaf Margin: Wavy or lobed
Leaf Hairs: Prickly and dentate; stems are hairless
Leaf Structure: Entire to oak-leaf shaped with two to five lobes.
Leaf Arrangement: Basal rosette of alternate leaves. Plant parts contain a milky sap.
Root Type: Rhizomes that spread by extensive horizontal roots
Flower Color: Composite flowers yellow to yellow-orange
- Dandelion Taraxacum officinale
- Lettuce, Prickly Lactuca serriola
- Sowthistle, Annual Sonchus oleraceus
- Sowthistle, Prickly or Spiny Sonchus asper
Herbicidal Control Options
- Preemergence: Selective control option not available
- Post Emergence: Mesotrione, 2,4-D, Dicamba, MCPP, Triclopyr, Clopyralid, Carfentrazone
Please note: one or more of these active ingredients may exist in combination-type brand name products. Any material used for herbicidal control of any plant may vary in efficacy. Please read the full disclaimer on herbicide usage.