Teaching Experience


Additional Requirement for Departmental Assistantships

Students on departmental assistantships (as opposed to grant or privately funded assistantships) may be required to serve as teaching assistants during most semesters.

English Test for Teaching

Graduate students whose native language is not English are required to take and pass the Penn State American English Oral Communicative Proficiency Test before they can teach at Penn State. The Program in English as a Second Language administers this test. Scores on the test determine any remedial action and when a student can assume teaching responsibilities. Additional information on this test is available at