How does my committee really get appointed?
You should discuss your interests and professional goals with your advisor. Then you and your advisor can select two (2) other faculty members who could be helpful in advising you on your program. You should contact each of those faculty members and ask if they are willing to serve on your M.S. Graduate Advisory Committee. If they agree, you should then contact Stacy Smith (, via email, with the names of the committee members and their departments.

What courses count towards the 30-credit minimum requirement?
Courses at the 400, 500, 600 and 800- level count towards your 30 credits. The course selection should be approved by your committee, and may include courses in the Plant Science Department, as well as courses in related areas such as plant pathology, entomology, statistics, and plant biology. Your thesis research credits also count toward the 30 credits. HORT 602 is the ONLY one in this category that does not count.

What course do I sign up for when I work on my research project?
You can register for HORT 600 (Thesis research) for time spent working on your thesis research. These credits will count towards the “18 credits in the 500, 600 and 800 series...” listed above.